2013 1st Year Orals – Solution
Here are the solutions to 2013 division finals-oral category for first year. Have fun while learning.
1. When I opened my Math book, the sum of the page number facing me was 17. What was the page number on the left side?
Think of two consecutive numbers whose sum is 17. That is 8 and 9. 9 on the right and 8 on the left. Thus, 8 is the answer.
2. Express the product of 400 x 100 in terms of scientific notation.
Solution: We factor 400 as 4*100 and copy another 100.
Since every 100 has 2 zeroes.
3. By how much does 1/2 of 100 exceed 1/4 of 40?
4. For what values of x is x+4<1?
5. Expand the expression
Solution: The quickest way to solve the problem is to take note that
6. What is the sum of the first two prime numbers?
Solution: A prime number is a number who has no divisors other than 1 and itself. Like 11, 13, etc.
The first two prime number however is 2 and 3. Giving a sum of 5.
7. Ana has a piece of paper 5 cm by 3 cm. What is the area of the square that can be cut from it?
Solution: The largest square that can be cut from the rectagular paper is a 3 by 3 square. hence, the area is 3*3=9 sq. cm.
8. When 2 is multiplied to the sum of 2 and a number, the result is 10. What is the number?
Solution: Form an equation relating the given.
Let x be the number,
9. How many 2-digit multiples of 5 are there?
95/5 = 19. In 19 multiples, 1 of them is 5. The rest multiples ranging from 10 to 95. Thus, the answer is 18.
10. A map of a small town is scaled 1 cm: 100 m. If two actual locations are 200 m apart, how many centimeters apart are these locations on the map?
Solution: use ration and proportion.
In every hundred, the distance on the map on the paper is 1 cm. Since there were 2 hundreds, there were a total of 2 cm distance.
The remaining questions will be added this evening. Like us on facebook to get the freshest update.
Proceed to page 2 for 30-second questions.