Last Minute Tips for Philippine Statistics Quiz Takers
Tomorrow, October 18 is the date set for the division level of Philippine Statistics Quiz for high school level. Last year, I gatecrashed the event in one of the hotels here in Bacolod City. I probably have to do it again this year for me to observe and gather some questions.
Take the the following tips according to my observation about the type of questions they had last year.
1. Know the current secretary of the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA).
2. Photographically memorize the product of 26×26, 26x26x26,26×25,26x25x24. The products here is very important for plate number problems. Last year, one of the tie breaker questions is about the ways to create a plate number consisting of 3 letters and 3 numbers and repetition is allowed is just 40 seconds.
Let’s say you know what to do but you don’t have much time to get the cube of 26. Goodbye to that point that should have been added if you knew the product of 26x26x26. By the way, the answer to that question is 26x26x26x10x10x10.
3. It is also important to memorize the factorials of numbers from 1 to 20 if possible. 1! to 10! will do. It is important for line problems and its derivatives.
4. Memorize square roots of first 20 numbers to 3 decimal places. This is important also when dealing with standard deviations. Remember that calculators are not allowed.
5. Do not over think! The time limit is very short so the questions are not that complicated as what you think.
6. Review more!